Friday 21 June 2013

Column: Why I'm Poor

Sometimes I wonder why I still buy dvd's. Don't tell the internet police, but I download most of the movies I watch. And that's a great way to see a movie you've been kinda hesitant about. There is no price you have to pay, so it doesn't really matter if the movie sucked. The only thing you lost is time.

Yet I still buy dvd's. I buy them because I have this desire to have a huge closet full with books, movies and tv-series. There's something special about owning your own copy of a movie. I think it's important that people buy the movies that they absolutely loved. The movie industry needs your 10 bucks! And you will end up watching those movies over and over anyways. For me personally there's one more reason why I buy dvd's. I buy them for the behind the scenes footage.


Maybe it's my secret plan to become a celebrated actor and/or director, or maybe it's just because I have too much free time. But for some reason, watching all the work that goes into making a movie is incredibly interesting to me. Fantasy & Sci-fi movies are the best. The make-up, the special effects and the gigantic sets I just can't get enough of it.


That's why I'm beyond excited for my latest purchase. A huge dvd box from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not just any dvd box, no it's the blu-ray extended edition. (It was on sale...)
Not only do I love the Lord of the Rings movies, the bonus material on this dvd box is astonishing. 26 fucking hours of behind the scenes footage. That's basically my dream coming through.

Thank you Peter Jackson and your almost obsessive need to capture every moment behind the cameras. You have giving me a good way to spend my summer (inside while eating junk food).