Monday 27 May 2013

Gross, a Virgin

Today I stumbled upon this poster for the upcoming comedy 'We're the Millers'. At first sight it looks like your average movie poster. But the labels that are created to describe the characters did seem quite odd. But that's the whole joke of this movie obviously.
It's about a drug dealers who pays some people to be his pretend family, just so he can smuggle drugs from Mexico. Since families tend to be overlooked at the border.
But I'm not here to describe the movie (even though it does seem pretty funny). The thing I want to talk about is the fact that the young guy is referred to as a 'virgin'. Which isn't a bad thing on itself but compared to the other names like 'Drug Dealer' or 'Stripper' it's weird.

It seems like the creator of this poster feels that being a virgin is just as bad as being a stripper or drug dealer. And that's just ridiculous. This poster is giving people the idea that being a virgin is a bad thing, even though it obviously isn't.

Of course it isn't the end of the world. But I do think it's pretty dumb especially considering the kid is portrayed as a dorky anti-social person (because all virgins are apparently) . I did feel that this rant would be appropriate for the internet.

So do you agree with me or do you think I'm judging too fast?